Monday, 22 March 2010

But where do I start?

Have you ever felt so overwhelmed by the global warming/climate change issues that it stresses you out and you don't know where to even begin?

"But how can I help, how is what I do going to make a difference when I am just one person?"

I have asked myself this question so many times. I guess the easy answer is... start somewhere. It doesn't matter where or what, just pick something and do it.

The perfect place to start is with plastic bags!

The "western world" consumes billions of plastic bags every year, and unfortunately most of those bags are not being recycled. Most end up either in landfill or in one of the garbage patches out in the middle of the ocean, killing our marine wildlife.

Start by

Buy a few fabric carry bags, keep some in your car boot and one by the front door. They are inexpensive and can be used hundreds of times before they need replacing. And best of all, cotton and hemp are both recyclable. Some clever clogs have even invented ways for denim, help and cotton to be turned into paper and gift cards too!

I can never have enough cotton bags to carry my shopping, I have about 20 bags at a guess! They are always being used to carry something when they aren't filled with groceries, which is why I buy so many of them.

In the past 10 years (yes, that is approximately how long I have been using re-useable bags) I have probably saved myself from collecting THOUSANDS of plastic bags.

Now imagine if you did the same. And you got just your family to do it too. It really adds up doesn't it?


Another great way to start helping our planet a little more is to go to your local playing field or the next time you visit the beach, take a bag and collecting some rubbish! What a great way to contribute a few minutes of your time and give a little love back.

No comments:

Post a Comment